Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Writing 310 Blog Post 6

Purpose Statement: This blog post will compare and contrast two different resume template in order to help me draft a resume for the internship I'm working towards in this class.

Here's a resume style that I think could work: https://www.georgefox.edu/offices/idea-center/biology-resume.pdf

Here's one that might not: https://www.georgefox.edu/offices/idea-center/career/beasleyresum.pdf

I didn't see a ton of differences between any of the templates, so I mostly based this decision on how they divide the space. The first template has a lot of space dedicated to the "Experience" section, which wouldn't work for me because I don't have that much experience. The second one, on the other hand, has an additional section titled "lab skills." This is clearly catered to this person's biology background, but I think a section like this could be used to list different writing skills I've developed, or even something else like projects I've worked on. This way, I could make my resume look full without having had 4 or 5 relevant jobs to list as experience.

Another thing I like about the first one is that it includes a LinkedIn link at the top. I could easily add this to the second one, but as-is I prefer the first. This gives employers another way to learn about me if they hadn't checked my LinkedIn yet. However, I'd need to do some work on making my page more interesting before I'd turn in a resume with the link at the top, because as-is it doesn't really make me stand out.

Stylistically, the two are pretty similar. I think the first does a better job of using white space, especially with the two columns in the "lab skills" section. Both use a serif font, which might not be the best choice for accessibility according to the presentation we heard on universal design. Additionally, both are pretty bland, so I might try to spice things up with some different colors or fonts. The article I read for Monday's class pointed out that the creativity that can be used in a resume is one of the big reasons that LinkedIn won't replace them, so I should use that aspect of the resume within reason.

This might be particularly important for an internship in public relations because it would show that I know how to communicate—through written documents and, hopefully, other channels—in a way that draws attention and stands out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing 200 Blog Post 22 - The End

Write a reflection on your blogging life. What have you learned about keeping a blog this semester? Is blogging something you will continue ...