Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Get to Know the LBCC Board of Education Zone 5 Candidates

 In the Benton and Linn County special election that will end on May 18, several positions are open on the LBCC Board of Education. 


James Merryman is unopposed for Zone 2-3 (Linn County), while Zone 6-7 (Linn County) is a race between Marshall Smith and incumbent Joan R. Reukauf. Meanwhile, the Zone 5 (Benton County) spot is a contest between three candidates: incumbent Amas Aduviri and challengers John Sarna and Brad Longman.


Each of the candidates for Zone 5 has different ideas and visions that will have an impact on students over the four-year term. To elucidate these differences, an email questionnaire was sent to each candidate and their responses were compiled. 


LBCC students 18 and over have a say in who leads our school via this election, and should have received ballots in the mail. 


Amas Aduviri       Brad Longman   John Sarna


Why are you running for Director?


Aduviri: “I believe I can contribute to the Board’s mission and goals with my work experience and expertise. An area of my interest is to ensure the increase of retention and graduations rates for underrepresented students. Finally, this opportunity will give me a chance to contribute within the larger community where I reside.”


Longman: “In short, two reasons: To guide decision making at our local community college; and to lead our community's conversations about how we educate our workforce.”


Sarna: “I strongly believe that community colleges are a foundational piece of our higher education system.  They are the rock on which many build a solid career and provide continued learning opportunities for people all ages and life experience.  I’d like to contribute my education and experience toward meeting these educational goals.”


What are your credentials and past experience, and how can you apply your personal skills to the Director position?


Aduviri: “For the past 16 years, I have worked at Oregon State University. I am currently working as the Executive Director for Grant-Funded Programs in the Division of Student Affairs. In my role, I provide supervision and ongoing implementation of several grants by monitoring each of the program’s goals and objectives, as well as managing the budgets. I establish collaboration with other university units to provide support services tailored to specific needs of program participants. 


“I hope my past and current experiences and skills help to guide the strategic goals of LBCC, which include degree/certificate completion, demographic graduation, and successful employment and persistence in 4-year universities.”


Longman: “I have been fortunate to have leadership positions early in my career, and I've learned that connecting with people and representing their voices is critical to leadership success. Growing up in a working class family yet being under 40 years old, I can relate to and readily represent student voices and needs to LBCC's Board.”


Sarna: “I have a B.S. in Math/Physics, a M.S.E.E. in Computer and Electrical Engineering, and a Doctorate in Environmental Science and Engineering.  I also have 25 years’ experience working as a Civil Engineer, where I was responsible for managing and budgeting a group of professional staff working on diverse programs.  


“I am very familiar with community colleges, having attended four, including LBCC, and having a son who also attended LBCC before going to a 4-year college.  My diverse education and experience would allow me to make decisions with a personal understanding of the issues that students face and what it takes to meet their individual educational objectives at LBCC.”


Why are you the best choice for LBCC students?


Aduviri: “I believe my current and past experiences in higher education, working to increase retention and graduation rates, makes me the best choice. Also, given my background and experiences, I am a long-time advocate for underrepresented students gaining access to post-secondary education. In my role on the board, I will continue this advocacy piece. I also believe we live in a democracy where the best candidate who has the best interest for LBCC should be elected. I believe in the future of LBCC; it [is] one of the finest community colleges in Oregon. It would be an honor to continue on the Board.”


Longman: “My voice and perspectives are the most similar to LBCC's students, and I am running to represent the values of today's youth -- the largest portion of today's (and tomorrow's) eligible voters! As our nation continues to debate the need for affordable college education and living wage jobs, I want LBCC to be at the forefront of these issues and lead the way in providing simple, innovative, and immediate solutions for its students.”


Sarna: “My extensive and diverse education and experience, as described above, gives me a unique perspective for meeting objectives that benefit LBCC students, including as described by me in the Benton County Voters Pamphlet:

  • Making LBCC inclusive and accessible to everyone, providing prerequisites that allow each student to be successful.

  • Ensuring LBCC classes are transferable to OSU and other 4-year colleges.

  • Expanding and improving career technical education programs.

  • Promoting continuing education and other extended learning classes.

  • Providing outreach to rural communities, with on-line access where attendance is infeasible.

  • Maintaining high school partnership programs, improving outreach and providing seniors with no-cost access to college level classes.

  • Keeping tuition low and LBCC financially solvent.”


What are your plans regarding COVID, specifically the return to in-person classes next year and requiring vaccinations?


Aduviri: “Most higher institutions are preparing for fall return to in-person classes, and they are also requiring vaccination. Overall, vaccines have shown to be effective. LBCC should consider requiring students to get vaccinated. This time of remote teaching has been challenging on many levels, as students return to in-person classes, LBCC should continue taking into consideration students’ overall well-being.”


Longman: “COVID vaccinations are important to ending the pandemic in our community and helping us move forward to our ‘next normal.’ However, … COVID vaccines are only approved by the FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA), and there's no legal or historical precedent for mandating treatments  approved only through EUA. That said, I realize there are counterarguments and differences of opinion, and I emphasize that I am neither a registered nor trained lawyer. However, as a trained and practicing public health professional I believe mandates do an injustice to the vaccination cause itself, and that I would rather see state governments and institutions focus on education, building demand for, and incentivizing individuals to make informed vaccination decisions - I'm convinced this would provide us better results than mandates. 


“Some examples include West Virginia issuing $100 savings bonds, Michigan offering $50 gift certificates, and Washington, D.C. even giving a free beer to individuals to get vaccinated. These efforts are proving more effective with higher coverage rates. From LBCC's perspective, what would it look like to offer reduced tuition or fees to vaccinated students? Or a free something else? As an LBCC Board Member I would absolutely advocate for students to get vaccinated, but I think we should emphasize creative alternatives to mandates.”


Sarna: “My first objective, as listed in the Voters Pamphlet, is to ‘bring back in-person classes in a post-COVID safe environment.’  I attended one in-person class at LBCC this last winter quarter, where one attendee did contract COVID, and, by following standard protocols, it was not transmitted to me or anyone else in my class, even though I doubt any students had been vaccinated at that time.  


“Based on this and other information, including statements from the national Centers for Disease Control, I believe students can return safely without requiring vaccinations.  If other information comes up that finds differently, I’d first look to stricter protocols before considering mandatory vaccinations.  Another option is offering some sections limited to vaccinated students.  That said, I have been vaccinated, and I have advised my college-age children to be vaccinated.”


Why do you think it’s important for LBCC students to vote?


Aduviri: “It’s important to elect Board members who have the interest of the students and LBCC’s mission and values. By voting, not only can LBCC students make a difference for themselves, but they can also amplify their voices and make their concerns and needs visible.”


Longman: “Americans under age 40 now outnumber those 40-plus, which is a pretty remarkable trend since the last time this happened was before the Baby Boomers! LBCC students should vote to have their voices heard and represented in decisions, and voting is an important way to do this. Whatever you do, #voteyourvalues!”


Sarna: “I encourage all eligible individuals to cast a ballot to vote in this and all elections. Voting is one of the key activities that is instrumental both in the functioning of society and in individuals determining their government.”


 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing 200 Blog Post 22 - The End

Write a reflection on your blogging life. What have you learned about keeping a blog this semester? Is blogging something you will continue ...