Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Writing 310 Blog Post 4

Purpose statement: This blog post will describe an internship that I'm interested in pursuing in order to set a direction for my future work in this class.

Briefly explain the job/internship; scholarship; graduate degree you will use for the focus of Unit #1. Write a general, comprehensive personal statement to this question: Why do you want the job, internship, scholarship, or admittance to the grad program and what about your life/education/work experiences and personality make you uniquely qualified for the position?

I'm still deciding whether I want to take a job that can make me more money this summer or focus on finding something in the field I'm studying. For the purposes of this assignment, though, I'm going to focus on an internship. After a fairly short search, I found an interesting one as a Publicity/Public Relations intern for Warner Media. It's strange because there's a single application for multiple internships in different fields, but I think it could be a good opportunity. 

The list of requirements is: 

"Pursuit of a college degree in Communications or a related major.

Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.

Strong writing, research, and organization skills.

Passion for the entertainment industry; current knowledge of PR industry trends, practices, and tools.

Outstanding time management skills to handle multiple and changing priorities."

I'm currently an English major, but I'm planning on adding a Public Relations major. I think that English is a good major to bring to this position, especially given the requirement for writing skills. This combination of majors gives me a lot of focus on the kind of skills needed for this position.

I have used Excel and other Microsoft Office apps, though I wouldn't consider myself "proficient." However, I'm good at catching on to new technology, so I think it wouldn't be too hard to develop this skillset before the summer comes around.

Writing, research, and organization are all key parts of being an English major, and also developed in my journalism work. Writing in particular has been a passion of mine since elementary school.

I've developed good time management skills through journalism, and my perfectionist streak also means that I tend to get much more invested in work when I have deadlines and commitment. 

Overall, this internship (or another one in the field of PR) seems very appealing to me, and frankly it solidified my idea to double-major. Though I have some practical skills to develop before I meet all the necessities for this position, I think my passion and soft skills lend themselves perfectly to this line of work. Getting an internship at such a big company might be a challenge, but I think that it would stand out as experience for a future career.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing 200 Blog Post 22 - The End

Write a reflection on your blogging life. What have you learned about keeping a blog this semester? Is blogging something you will continue ...